Washington Community High School District 308 was chartered in 1920 and the present site on Bondurant was opened in 1942 with an enrollment of 230 students. The story of WCHS is one of rapid growth and numerous expansions. The additions of 1956, 1961, and 1962 tripled the space of the original building. In 1974 and 1975 the James Ashbrook Vocational Building and the new library were added. The years of the 60's and 70's were also times of rapid increases in student enrollment which soared to 1720 in 1977.
Today WCHS, which covers 53 square miles, stands tall on its present site of approximately 42 acres with its excellent indoor and outdoor facilities that offer many opportunities for its 1100 students. Today the goal of WCHS is much the same: provide students with a solid foundation of both academic and vocational knowledge and skills to meet the demands of our modern technological society.
To keep the tradition alive, the WCHS staff works together to offer many educational opportunities. The curriculum offers over 100 different courses, exclusive of the various trackings, from which students may choose to complete programs in college prep, vocational, or general education. In addition WCHS strives to have available updated equipment and current teaching materials to enhance all these courses and programs of study. School activities are also an important part of our total school program and contribute to the overall development of all participating students. WCHS offers opportunities in student government, service organizations, sports, music, drama, and various classroom related organizations. Because of its commitments to excellence, our school continues to be fully accredited by the Illinois State Board of Education and the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
Washington Community High School believes students are its most valuable resource. Therefore - We build for the future today.